Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day

I took Mr. L out for dinner on Valentine's Day.  He usually buys dinner for us, so I thought if I did it for a change, that would make it a little special.  Of course, we're in Central TX, so our choices are limited to several varieties of Mexican, Italian (owned by Hispanics, but they make the best pizza in town), and an overpriced "bistro."  I opted for the place that makes the best fajitas in town and gave him the option of choosing any other the others for us if he preferred.  We went for the best fajitas in town.  They gave the ladies roses as we came in, and out waitress remembered Mr. L (she always remembers him but not me...it's okay.  She had the baby since the last time we were in, and the neck tat (Jacob) is still there -- nice enough girl, but why do people do that to themselves?)  Ah well.  On to the week:

The Good Stuff:
  • Lady and Tarzan have had their annual exams.  Lady has some problems I don't completely understand (it involves ulcers in the back of her mouth and abdominal discomfort).  She got antibiotics and steroids shots and has a followup visit next month.  I hope that does the trick for her.
  • Two of three female kittens are spayed.  The last one (Delta) will be done next week.  For the latest on them, check the blog.
  • I rode the bike, read, and did morning pages.
  • I made progress on the crepe myrtle trimmings
  • I decided to drop my Weight Watchers membership for now.  I'm tracking, but I'm not doing what I need to do to make the program effective for me, so I'm not going to spend money on it.  I've been testing the Lose It! app this week and like it.  I'd like a little more detailed nutritional tracking -- I'm not sure the Premium version ($40 a year) will be much more detailed or not, but it's easy to use.  I signed up for MyFitnessPal this morning but I deleted my account when entering my breakfast turned out to be very unsatisfactory. If you have any apps that allow you to enter information from the bar code on your package, it makes data entry a dream.  No more searching the database for the particular oddity you're eating.  In Lose It!, once you've entered the food (or scanned it in), it's in your My Foods database, and it's easy to locate after that.  They don't have an iPad app, but the iPhone version works fine on the iPad.  I mostly use the iPhone version or the web site.
  • I got the bills paid that I was wondering about
  • Mr. L did a wonderful job decluttering at the top of the stairs while I was gone.  It looks marvelous.
The Not So Good:
  • I haven't dug out PBOTL yet
  • I didn't do any additional work on my short story after getting off the train
  • I don't know where to start with the FM concerns some users have, but, thankfully, Zette says to take my time and not worry about them for now.
  • My membership at OS Training expires next month, so I need to get cracking on getting through the Joomla! classes and decide if I want to renew for six months or a year -- the year is most cost-effective.  For now, I think I'll let is lapse.  I can reactivate at any time.
  • Haven't decided about the trip to SA yet
  • Not sure I'm reoriented to life, but then, was I ever oriented to begin with?  I don't remember.
The Week Ahead:
  • Continue tracking in Lose It!, doing morning pages, riding the bike, and reading
  • Find PBOTL and get it out
  • Declutter the parlor
  • Mow the yard, dig weeds, and continue crepe myrtle maintenance plan.
  • We'll be in Dallas next weekend visiting the kids
  • Look for ways to get more protein in my diet
  • Go to the Friends of the Museum party tonight at the bistro mentioned above

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Yeah, I'm working on the protein thing too. One of my favorite snacks/desserts is a South Beach recipe. Mix together 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese and a tsp each (to taste) sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder. Alternately, you can do sugar and lemon zest. Quick, satisfying, and high in protein.

Tammy Jones said...

I like eggs. Not sure how your cholesterol levels are, but they're a complete protein. Sometimes I fry one or two up in a nonstick skillet with a little no-stick spray, but I also make them in the microwave. Just spray a microwaveable bowl with no-stick (I use our corningware cereal bowls) and cook for about a min. Fits perfectly on an english muffin or bun. ;)

There's also Greek Yogurt, beans, and veggie burgers. BocaBurger has a couple of kinds for only 2 WW points (I think they're 90 cal, but I'm not sure). I like them with an egg on top. ;)

Tammy Jones said...

Oh! If you're gonna 'nuke' an egg, be sure and poke the white and yolk a few times with a fork or you might get an egg explosion. ;)

Jean said...

Wendy, that sounds remarkably interesting. I'll give that a try.

Tammy, I love eggs. I think I'm going to make a batch of hard boiled eggs for snacks.

Speaking of nuking, my mom makes these cute pockets for potatoes. You wrap the potato in a damp paper towel and tuck them in the pocket and nuke -- on their microwave, four small potatoes take about eight minutes. No poking with a fork needed. It would double as a pot holder or trivet, I think.

What's suffering is my percentage of protein. Now that I look at the chart, I think I'm getting enough protein, but percentage wise, I'm getting way too many carbs and fats.

I need to rearrange my snacks again. Too much chocolate and carby things and not enough fruit, vegetables, and proteiny things. (Duh!, right?)

Jean said...

I forgot to mention the washer died the day I got back home. Not fond of paying $2 a load at the laundromat to wash, but it works for now. At least it's close to the house.

Post a Comment