Saturday, March 1, 2014

broken record

Same stuff, different week. Mostly. I'm trying to cut myself some slack, although it doesn't sound that way. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants winter to *March* out of here!

Good Stuff:
- We joined a gym. It's across the street from Target and attached to a Panera. It also has a spa.
- I went to a yoga class, all by myself. I'll be making that a Tuesday morning thing, I think.
- I finally got a garage door opener after hounding the property manager for four months. We get 2 parking spots, and they only gave us 1 remote. The PM has been telling me you can only have so many remotes per opener, and if they program a new one for me, it will bump someone else off. Turns out the people who moved in downstairs this week got an opener for their side of the garage, and one for ours, and I happened to be downstairs when they discovered it. (More on that in a minute.) I mentioned I'd been trying to get one since sharing doesn't work so well, and he gave me the one that opens our door. So now I'll go to bat for them to get a second opener. They seem very nice, btw, and apparently the PM thinks none of the tenants talk to each other because we've caught him in two lies today.
- Got some words in. Not sure they're good words, but I counted them. I wrote 16 days in February, double the 8 I worked in January. I'm going to note the number of hours starting this month just to set up a baseline since I can't double the number of days again.
- I have isolated the bulk of my adjustment issues to the emptiness of my nest and a need to find my new identity and purpose. I thought I'd dealt with the Mom to Consultant transition, but I guess not. I'll tackle that in therapy.
- All the boxes are unpacked. That's not to say that everything is put away, but at least the boxes are empty, and so is the chair in my bedroom. The reading nook is taking shape.

Not So Good Stuff:
- I was going to go to another yoga class yesterday and the van wouldn't start. Of course it was parked in the front spot in the garage. We bought a new battery for it today, but the battery sits under a bar and the fuse box, and our socket set is downstate.
Plan B: We pushed the van out of the garage, intending to push it with Eric's car the half block to the mechanic's shop. Easy peasy, or it would have been if it hadn't been for the ice and snow in the alley we back onto. We got the van stuck on an ice bump and couldn't get it back over. The ice cut the traction, so Eric couldn't even move it with his car.
Plan C: Since the car was out, Eric drove around to jump it. Too bad the battery was so dead the starter wouldn't even click.
Plan D: We called a tow truck, and were told it would be an hour and change before they arrived. I stayed downstairs with the van for a while so Eric could get some research for his term paper done. That's when I met the new neighbors and got the garage door remote. The tow truck came sooner than expected, and he had a fancy pants battery jumper. Of course, it started right up. *Insert unkind name here* At that point, I came upstairs to get lunch and let Eric deal with getting the battery changed. The only good part about that happening now is that it didn't happen when I was driving back and forth, and it didn't wait until Eric goes out of town this week on a site visit.

This week:
- Start therapy
- Go to yoga
- Eat all my favorite meals while Eric is away
- Write. Maybe finish the book?
- Don't have another melt-down
- Maybe get a pedicure?

Oh, joy. It's snowing. Again. Think this will be the last snowfall? Jean, I would totally send all this to you if I could.

1 comment:

Jean said...

You had to meet the new neighbors. Too bad the battery had to die for you to do it, but it was a better time and place than it might have been.

Post a Comment