Saturday, March 29, 2014

Walking on Sunshine

I feel strangely upbeat at the moment.  Don't worry.  I'm sure it will pass.  Grin.

I just vacuumed the parlor.  Lady and Natasha slept through it (for the most part), but watching Tarzan creep back in is hysterically funny.  Daphne came behind him, and while she wasn't quite as cautious as Tarzan (is still being), she's checking everything out as well. I changed the orientation on Lady's cage, and I think it is less intrusive for the room.  Mr. L may have a different opinion when he gets home from the shop, but we'll see. 

Our trip to San Antonio was reasonably fruitful, and it was the key to most of the week.  We drove down together on Wednesday, bringing Lady and Natasha with us, leaving the rest of the horde to fend for themselves in Central TX.  We met a friend for dinner at our favorite burger place.  We watched the Spurs on a muddy non-HD satellite connection (HD does spoil you) and worked on the jigsaw puzzle.  On Thursday, we went to breakfast, and Mr. L dropped me off at the Apple Store with the Mini while he ran errands.  The Apple folks were great.  I had my first Genius Bar appointment, and they got me right in. Unfortunately, it wasn't the simple upgrade to Lion I'd anticipated, because when I installed a new hard drive in the Mini, I didn't format it in the Journaled format, so it had to be reformatted.  That ruled out the upgrade install and resulted in my disk being wiped.  All my data is in Dropbox, I have a current Time Machine backup (but for some reason I can't get them to really work for me), and I've been using the Retina for anything serious since I got it and using the Mini for web browsing.  Having to wipe the disk is a just a hassle and not crucial, but I was disappointed.  On the bright side, I got the newest versions of iLife with this install.  The rest of Thursday was mostly relaxing and reading.  We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant on Thursday, but it's our regular waiter's night off, so we got someone else, who mostly rushed us through the meal, so we left feeling a little dissatisfied with our experience.  More puzzle time.  Friday morning, we went to breakfast, and Mr. L dropped me back at the house to rake live oak leaves while he went to his doctor appointment (the whole reason for the trip).  He got test results back from a test they ran last month, and the results were good.  He discussed some concerns he had with one of his medications and got a plan to see if it's causing the problem he thinks it's causing. Then he ran a few errands, came back to the house to get me, and we went back to our favorite burger place for lunch before driving back to Central Texas.

I'm glad we took Lady and Natasha with us.  They book seemed a lot less stressed than usual with fewer cats around.

Today, I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to restore apps to my Mini. It's been telling me there's "less than a minute remaining" since about 9 pm last night.  According to Activity Monitor, the app IS doing something, so I'm going to continue to let it run.  I imagine there are lot of ones and zeroes to flip, so I'm going to let it churn.  I'm doing laundry and a little light cleaning around the house while I watched Holly's webinar with Hitch from booknook.biz, which I missed on Thursday, because I was out of internet service range.  Stephen, you probably wouldn't have been surprised by anything in the webinar, but I found it eye-opening.

I emptied the water containers on the yard and refilled them with fresh tap water in preparation for returning them to the shop to be ready for next time we don't have water.  I replaced the insulating foam on the water pipes above the back porch, put some insulation back in place, and put the cat carriers back in the closet.  That translates to getting a lot of bulky items out of the kitchen and parlor. 

I got the lawn mowed before we left town.  I also got the ad submitted for the yard sale.  I did some work on A-Z posts.  I think I can get a few more scheduled.  I'm going to try to get more writing done during the day.  Mr. L likes to work on a puzzle in the evening, so I like to join him, but if I haven't done my writing, I find myself resenting him for not quitting the puzzle and going up to bed as it gets later in the evening, because I want to get started on my writing.  The only logical solution I can come up with is to carve out writing time earlier in the day.

The Week Ahead:
  • Get ready for the yard sale (Mr L is supposedly at the shop prepping to paint the showroom ceiling now, so I can't do anything for the yard sale until he tells me the coast is clear -- this ought to be a very interesting week).
  • A-Z Challenge goes live on Wednesday, so I have to finish more posts and get them up.  I'm good until "G."  G is giving me some trouble right now.  I'll get something.
  • I can recommend "1-Minute Office Chair Yoga" on Lift if anyone was wondering.  I need to do each of these exercises daily, but for now, once every 12 days is better than nothing.  I'm pretty sure I'll begin putting together a more comprehensive application of these techniques fairly soon.  I'm going to let it build.
  • Continue with mindful eating.  
  • Probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment