Sunday, March 23, 2014

Long Week

Funny how, when I was in the process of moving here, I was excited about the prospect of lake-effect snow but didn't really think we'd see much, being on the west side of the lake. Guess what I woke up to this morning? 23* and snow. :-/ Yeah, happy Spring.

Good Stuff:
- We spent yesterday at a local Celtic Festival. It was inside the Sears Center, the festival on the concourse and a soccer tournament in the arena. We had a good turn-out and lots of interest, although people kept asking how much my display items were. It's not the first time I've had to explain we weren't selling anything, but it was the first time I've had to do it so much. We got to reconnect with the Illinois Clan McDonald contingent, so that was fun. We'll see them in a couple weeks at Tartan Day, and they're going to work on getting me into a storytelling tent at the Springfield Games. I also talked with some folks from the local St. Andrew Society about storytelling at the Chicago Games, but of course the person I needed to talk to had just left. They have a smaller party for kids they may be in touch with me about.
- I made it to the gym 4 times, including the session with the trainer.
- My food choices were better.
- We went to see Divergent Friday night, not thinking that it's based on a YA book, and it was opening weekend. The audience was 3/4 tween, many of whom had ants in their pants while we waited for the movie to start. I got tired just watching them. They settled down when the previews started, though, so the movie itself was enjoyable. There are so few movies we both want to see.
- Connected with a small group of women for a weekly bible study. They're a fun group--teachers, mostly, but I'm told there's a journalist and a screenplay writer who come sometimes.
- Driving is getting easier. I don't tremble anymore when I get in the van to go out. I even parallel parked the other day! In traffic!

Not So Good Stuff:
- I got my first skirt made, and despite my careful measurement, it's tight in the hips. It's fixable, I think, but it will require taking it partially apart and putting in gussets, which I'll be able to take out later if/when I lose weight. It's a drawstring, so it's pretty forgiving, but the downside is it adds a little bulk to the waist. Over all, it wasn't a bad first attempt. When I do the next one, I'm going to use my hip measurement for the waist measurement to compensate for the "junk in the trunk." ;-) I probably need to kick in some extra, too, for seam allowance. Pinterest forgot to mention that part.
- I was supposed to go to counseling, but my counselor got sick and cancelled. We've rescheduled for this week.
- Despite my careful eating and exercise, I lost whopping half a pound. It's discouraging, but I guess a half pound a week is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

This week:
- Work on stories
- Sewing
- Exercise
- Keep logging food
- Start getting stuff together for Tartan Day


1 comment:

Jean said...

My goal is half a pound a week. Good for you for what sounds like a lot of progress this week. I'm a fan of incremental progress. I think it's easier to sustain.

Post a Comment