Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cold As Ice

We are in a bit of a chill.  Sneaky's water tower froze over, and I broke it.  Fortunately, we had another water tower in the garage, and I pulled it into service, but it's not likely to last long, even with the fleece dog coat wrapped around it.  We go to Temple on Tuesday, and I'll be looking for a replacement.  Other than that, it's been a week!

My MacBookPro arrived from China on Thursday afternoon, and I love it.  I did not love attempting to use Migration Assistant to migrate apps and data over from my MacMini.  In fact, I abandoned the effort after the fifth time when it managed to lose my user account and I couldn't even log in.  Which means I nearly bricked my brand new laptop.  Fortunately, Command-R and my TimeMachine backup I'd made of the unsullied machine the day before worked well, and I was back in business -- using the old-fashioned method of manually downloading all my apps and setting them up.  Fortunately, critical data is all on Dropbox, so once that was set up, data flowed to where it needed to be.  I installed the AppStore apps first (the once I wanted to put on this machine, anyway).  Then I checked licenses for the others to make sure I could install them on multiple machines and installed away.  I'm going to have to make a decision about mSecure.  They need a license for each machine, but if I buy again in the AppStore, I can use it on all my machines.  I'm not anxious to be beholden to the AppStore for my mission critical apps, but in this case, they seem to be driving customers in that direction.

The Good Stuff:
  • I feel better this week than last.
  • We seem to have found a balance for Lady being free of the cage and Rossie being free to move but putting Lady in the cage in the evening and overnight.  Rossie is downstairs more in the late evening, and she's out and about more upstairs during the day.  The other "kittens" are much more active around the house, too.  This looks like a long process to get Rossie's confidence up enough to work through this problem, but we're seeing progress.
  • Based upon a post Erin made on Facebook, I'm trying a new app for the phone called Lift.  The idea is to use the app to establish new habits.  I chose to start with Decluttering and "Become a Writing Machine."  The first decluttering task was to clean out the closet, which I've just done, but it threw a wrench into things when it asked, "Do you really need all those T-shirts?"  Busted!  The first task for the Writing Machine was to define my audience -- a task I've been procrastinating on for a couple of months now.  
  • Mr. L has been working on several projects in the master bathroom, and they're coming together -- installing a shaving mirror and new towel hooks by the shower got finished today.  He's still working on the device to hold the new light fixture that will mount above the new medicine cabinet he installed a few weeks ago.
  • I'm evaluating off-site data storage services.  Stephen sent me an invite for Carbonite (thank you), but at the moment, I'm learning toward Crashplan+.  With my recent frustration with Time Machine, I'm more convinced than ever that I need one of these subscription services.
  • Our local high school team goes to the semi-finals for the state championship next week.  We'll find out tonight if Alamo Heights will advance, too.  Exciting times in local football right now.  Hoping my Ohio State Buckeyes prevail this evening in the Big 10 Championship game.  I have no delusions of them winning the national championship should they be selected to compete for it, given their cupcake schedule and utter lack of defense, but one never knows what might happen with these things.  Last Saturday made for superb football, that's for sure.
  • Christmas cards are addressed.  My goal is to get most of them out on Monday. I hope the Post Office has the "Holy Family" stamps -- those were beautiful last year.
The Not So Good Stuff
  • Although I got my 750 words every day, I utterly failed to do any professional writing.  
  • I did read and critique a draft for an on-line acquaintance.  I'm not sure I was tough enough on her, but she did admit she'd been taking shortcuts, and my commentary indicated she realized she couldn't get away with it.
  • I'm not doing a good job focusing on my health.
The Week Ahead
  • Get Christmas cards mailed out
  • Do more research on computer backup services (I don't plan to buy until around February -- have a number of bills I need to take care of first).
  • Work on my two "Lift" projects -- decluttering and writing.
  • Prep for trip to SA -- need to make sure I bring all the right things.
  • Order new checks
  • Daphne, Delta, Ruby, and Rossie to the vet on Monday for shots
  • Me to the doctor on Tuesday for semi-annual visit
  • Call in for prescription refills late in the week so they'll be ready for pick up on my way to San Antonio next week
  • Begin evaluating what I want to focus on for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment