Saturday, October 6, 2012

Wendy's weird weather week

It started off warm, almost got hot, then rained just shy of 2". Today, if it gets to 55, I'll be amazed. It was supposed to be sunny. I saw the sun for a minute before it got cloudy again.

Good Stuff:
- Had dinner with Jean and Alan the other night. It was great to meet him, and we enjoyed getting caught up with Jean in person again. There's a bit of a strange dynamic, meeting face to face, with on-line friends, but it's a lot of fun!
- Met with Jeff, my bard mentor, and we talked about research and the business end of story telling over Highlander Grog coffee. (Decaf for me, of course.) I still haven't seen him wearing pants.
- Did a few Scrivener lessons. That program does a lot!
- Worked on the garage and moved some gear out of the dining room. Not done yet.
- Started priming the upstairs bathroom. Long way to go on that, but it doesn't have to be done for another month. I can afford to peck away at it for now.
- Started fencing lessons today. It was FUN! I met the teacher at the Scottish Games last weekend, and it's only costing me gas money. Of course, I'm at the mercy of his schedule, which means I don't get another lesson until November.
- Refrained from cutting my own hair, although I was getting pretty desperate when I did get it cut.

Not So Good Stuff:
- The gloomy weather has not been helping my motivation level.
- It's allergy season again, but then, when isn't it allergy season here?
- There's so much to do, most days I don't know where to start. I just want it all done, but it's going so slowly.

This Week:
- Work on the bathroom.
- Finish the garage.
- Get gear out of the house and stain the camp kitchen.
- Find a practice sword.

OH! I almost forgot! Here's a high protein cookie recipe that Jean and I like. I shared the recipe with her, and y'all might like it too. Some of the ingredients are unorthodox, but they taste like chocolate chip cookies with a hint of coconut. You can get a bunch of them on the cookie sheet because they don't spread. Tammy, they're 1 point each or 3 points for 2, and I got about 75 out of the batch by using a small cookie scoop.

-->
Fat-Burning Cookies
Ready in 45 minutes – makes 38 servings

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whey protein powder (I got mine at GNC, but I've seen it in some grocery stores since then)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups low-fat cottage cheese
½ cup honey
¼ cup canola oil
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
½ cup walnuts, chopped

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl and blend with a fork
  3. In a separate bowl, combine next 5 ingredients and whisk together with a fork, or use an electric mixer or food processor.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix with a fork. Mix in oats, chocolate chips and walnuts.
  5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an oiled or parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Bake 12 mins until the cookies are slightly brown on top.



4 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Thanks, Wendy. {{huggs}}

Sounds like you've had a BUSY week! We're looking at maybe snow. Yay.

SBB said...

Wendy, do you know what the carb count is on the cookies?

And it sounds like you're having the weather we're having. I just hoping we get a cold enough winter -- even though I HATE the cold -- to kill off some of the mosquitoes.

The fencing does sound fun, and I bet it's great exercise. Someone needs to video you so we could see!

Wendy said...

As near as I can figure they're about 9 grams per cookie. Keep in mind that I looked up each ingredient online and added them up for the recipe and divided the total by 74 (the number of cookies I got out of the batch). 9 sounds really high to me. Do you know a better way to calculate carbs?

Wendy said...

I was right. 9 was high. I got this using the Spark People nutrition calculator.

74 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 53.4
Total Fat 2.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 2.7 mg
Sodium 45.6 mg
Potassium 33.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 2.6 g
Vitamin A 0.7 %
Vitamin B-12 0.6 %
Vitamin B-6 1.1 %
Vitamin C 0.1 %
Vitamin D 0.1 %
Vitamin E 0.9 %
Calcium 1.4 %
Copper 0.8 %
Folate 0.9 %
Iron 2.4 %
Magnesium 0.6 %
Manganese 2.7 %
Niacin 0.6 %
Pantothenic Acid 0.2 %
Phosphorus 1.4 %
Riboflavin 1.0 %
Selenium 1.0 %
Thiamin 0.9 %
Zinc 0.5 %


*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Post a Comment