Sunday, April 20, 2014

Eggs and Such

LittleMiss is off to her other family this morning, so it's a typical crappy Sunday for us. We don't really celebrate Easter other than the candy and egg hunting part, which we already did. I was part of the community Easter Egg hunt, at least the stuffing and hiding eggs part. It was pretty fun (and in the park right behind our house, so it was as convenient as such things could possibly be) and it went well. There's a very definite difference between boys and girls, though. Boys of all ages kept trying to sneak in and get their candy early, and even when they weren't allowed to get it, they'd linger close enough to just snatch it right up as soon as the okay was given.

Most of the girls - of all ages, since the Lion in charge sends the kids out in waves, starting with the littlest to give the small kids a chance before bigger ones trample them - each had one egg and one bag of candy - the minimum we ensured all kids had. A few had one bag or one egg more. The boys, however, had ALL THE REST and some of the girls were upset because their brother (or whoever) got like 5 times as much. But the boys were, and are, more physical, faster, and more prone to climbing, etc, than the girls, so while the girls grabbed the easy to see/reach ones, the boys got those as they ran past to get the harder to get ones. If that makes sense.

Anyway, I found the gender differences, even in toddlers, very interesting. Our biggest troublemaker was maybe a year and a half old and whenever his parents would drag him back to the other side of the gate, he'd escape their clutches and snag up eggs and candy. Repeatedly. Even after lectures, punishment, etc. He was cute, but I bet he'll be trouble in the future.

Otherwise, things are things. I really like the new mattress a LOT - my body just goes 'aaaaaaahhhhhhh!' when I go to bed instead of 'arrgh!', which is awesome. Loving the new couch. I've been exercising well, but the weight continues to climb, mostly because I continue to eat.

I do like eating. Dammit. *tam pokes her flab*

Wrote some fiction this week, just 10 pages or so of feeling out a character, nothing too special but it was nice to do. Despite snow earlier this week, the weather's been pretty good - off and on rain today - and things are starting to turn green. There are even a few leaf buds on the trees, but no sprouting leaves yet.

Declinations keep coming. Most are very nice, but I'm becoming rather discouraged about SPORE. I was just too late for the genre. It's my own fault, but it's also discouraging.

My allergies are in fine form. I'll have sudden sneezing fits for no apparent reason and the headache has been pretty much constant for a couple of weeks now despite Claritin, cold pills, and ibuprofen. Sigh. I've also had some struggles with the blues, nothing too dark and deep, just general blah and 'i don't give a flip'.

Mostly, tho, things are good. I hope you all have a great Easter. {{hugs}}

7 comments:

SBB said...

"Liking eating" is my problem, too! :)

Happy Easter, Tammy!

Wendy said...

Yup, mine too. Especially if it has sugar.

Have I told you about the allergy tea I've been drinking? Stir a teaspoon or two of local honey and about a tablespoon of unfiltered cider vinegar (the kind with the milky floaty stuff) into a cup of hot water and sip, It sounds gross, but it's actually really good. I'm thinking about a way to make a mixture to drink cold in the summer because the acidity of the vinegar should be really nice when it's hot outside. In any case, I've forgotten to take my allergy pill a couple times, and I haven't gotten the backlash headache, so I think there might be something to this snake oil. I'm not taking it with me when I go to Mom's, so it will be a good time to see if it's working or coincidence.

SBB said...

I may try that tea, Wendy. Apple cider supposedly has lots of health benefits.

Wendy said...

Supposedly it supports weight loss and has a positive effect of blood sugar, so you might want to give it a try. FWIW, I came up with a cold version:

Mix vinegar and honey in a mason jar or heat resistant glass. Add enough hot water to dissolve the honey. Top up with cold water, add ice if desired.

It's good cold and hot.

Wendy said...

The vinegar seems to be key for me. I've eaten local honey on and off for years for allergy relief, and it never seemed to have much effect. I think the vinegar adds minerals or something that unlock the benefit. Or maybe I'm just less allergic to Chicago.

Jean said...

Fascinating gender observations. "Liking eating." Um. Yeah. I finally figured out why they recommend doing nothing else while you are eating and putting your fork down between bites (tough to do when there's a toddler around!). If you do this, your brain registers that you ate, so it doesn't nag you to eat more half an hour later.

Jean said...

Cider vinegar and honey. Interesting concept that the cider vinegar releases elements of the honey.

Post a Comment