Monday, April 7, 2014

Surreal

Wow, what a weekend! It was great to be back in familiar surroundings with friends. I spent one night at the house downstate, which was a little like visiting my mom's house. It was weird, but not sad. I had good crowds for almost all of my eight story sets and unknowingly auditioned for the Springfield IL Games next month.

Once we got the festival underway, everything was great. Before that I had to chase down sandbags to weigh down my tent because they moved the festival to a big parking lot the day before it started. The park where we usually are hadn't dried out from the snow, and it rained last week, too, so it was a soggy mess. The parking lot worked out much better.

The rest of the week wasn't without drama. Eric had a business trip to Minneapolis. We were on our way to O'Hare Monday morning when he got an automated phone call from the airline that he'd been bumped from his flight. He decided it would be simpler to rent a car at the airport and drive up. He called about noon Wednesday to tell me about the winter storm heading their way. He scrambled to get everything done and flew back Wednesday evening. Since the last leg of what would have been his return trip went from O'Hare to St. Louis, he cancelled everything except that and I picked him up right after I finished the sand bag drama. I was ready for a drink at that point, but honestly, once I saw him walking through the airport, everything was right in my world.

Today I'm tired and my voice, well, it isn't shot, but it isn't strong. Of course, allergy season kicked in last week. I have a van full of stuff to unload and schlep up 4 floors. Thank goodness for the elevator and my wagon. They've saved my bacon so many times!

Guess it's time to get back to reality.


3 comments:

Jean said...

Good choice by Eric for Minneapolis, but still a hassle.

So happy the Games went well for you. I'd forgotten what a strain that would be on your voice. Pamper it a little, and I'm sure it will bounce right back.

Schlep the van stuff a little at a time, and it won't seem that bad.

Tammy Jones said...

Glad you had a great time at the games and I am positive your voce will return quickly. {{hugs}

Also glad you enjoyed your visit back downstate, Eric had a safe trip despite the airline and weather, and that, overall, things are going well.

I hope you're settling in and feeling less untethered. Are things, overall, better? {{hugs}}

Wendy said...

There are more good moments than bad. It helps a lot that the weather is improving. Sunshine is my friend, but like you, allergies are not! I read a tip about swabbing the inside of your nose with almond or sesame oil to act as a barrier. Those oils have anti microbial properties that others don't. I have some almond oil around here somewhere. When I find it, I'll report back.

Post a Comment