Monday, January 20, 2014

Here Comes the Sun

Typing this early Monday morning, well, not that early, after seeing Mr. L's older daughter off.  She came down for the weekend and needed to get back to her home just a little north of Dallas.  We showed her all the finest for Central Texas -- fajitas on Saturday night, bingo on Sunday afternoon, and her father's famous chili last night.  We worked on a jigsaw puzzle, and she and her dad talked genealogy.  Oh, and she and Daphne played Bug Squash on her Acer tablet.

Over the last week, I began the beta test for Holly's soon-to-be-released worldbuilding clinic, created a simple favicon for Vision and installed it, and did a little bit of writing (and I still haven't devised a tracking mechanism to quantify my work).

I'm still enjoying the plans on Lift.  I discovered another value for photographing the beginning and ending of a meal.  Day One will only allow one photograph per entry, but it does offer to change the date and time of the entry to that of the photograph.  If I allow it to do that, and I take two photographs, I can calculate how long it took me to consume my meal -- useful for evaluating if I'm eating mindfully or just wolfing something down.  I'm using the photographs to evaluate if I think I'm eating the right portion size (I usually know on an intellectual level), and in a couple of instances, it has helped me decide to choose a smaller size the next time I ate the item (think bowl of ice cream or bowl of granola cereal).  I usually photograph an empty plate, but there have been a few times when I've photographed a little food left, and there have been a couple of times when I left food -- in one instance the potatoes and beans that came with our omelet were a little cold, I finally decided, "Hey, I don't have to eat these" and left a few.  The next day, when I had the same meal and they weren't cold, it was easier to leave a few on the plate.  I've already cut out the second tortilla on that breakfast, so small changes are coming.  I don't know where this fear came from, but I've always had a strong mental fear I'm going to starve (all evidence to the contrary!).  Maybe this approach is helping my brain realize it's highly unlikely I'm going to starve in the foreseeable future. (Note:  I chose not to do the photographs while the daughter was here -- but Mr. L. trying to be helpful, mentioned the photographs, and I had to go into the explanation about what he was talking about.  So much for not trying to call attention to what I'm trying to do. She's cool, so it was no big deal, but still.)

My sister has become a Tupperware dealer, so if you need anything, please consider ordering through her website, http://my2.tupperware.com/annhouck.  I found a spice rack on sale this month and ordered it to try to organize my spice cabinet (after getting the measurements from her to make sure it would fit). They shipped it Fed Ex, and it got here Saturday.  I put labels on the containers (not included), loaded them up with spices, and put everything in the cupboard.  Works well.  (If you go there, I found her site a little cumbersome to use, but once I found what I wanted on their main site and searched on her site, it came up.  I'm not sure if that's a Tupperware flaw or her just getting accustomed to how things work.  It may or may not get easier as she gains more experience. 

That's last week.  What's up in the week ahead?
  • Finish the worldbuilding beta test (five more chapters to go)
  • Do more writing
  • Continue my work with the Lift programs.  I'll be finishing and archiving a plan on meditation 101 today.  Informative.
  • Help Mr. L. with some projects
  • Keep up the decluttering efforts -- progress is very slow.
  • Revision.  Remember revision!
A big welcome home to Wendy as she gets settled into her new Chicago home (you need to send us you new address -- privately, of course).

8 comments:

SBB said...

You have a busy week in front of you!

I went your sister's site and didn't see anything I couldn't live without. :) I am trying to find a mandolin slicer, but I couldn't find it there. If there is one and I just missed it, let me know.

Using photography to help weight loss ... that's an intriguing idea. I know people have used before photos to motivate themselves, but the way you're doing it is different. Cool.

What book are you revising?

Jean said...

Thanks for looking at the site -- I didn't see anything I could use when I looked last month either. They sent me a catalog with my order, and I remember seeing a mandoline slicer in the catalog. It looks like this: http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_www/tup_party.personalize?fv_item_category_code=51000

To get it, you have to host a party, with $450 in sales and have two friends who book a party of their own to be held within 21 days. I saw a link on there where you can do online parties, so that might be an option. It's a $75 value, and looks awesome. Berta and I were admiring it in the catalog. There seems to be a video about it at the link.

SBB said...

So they don't just sell it? Odd.

Wendy said...

Sounds like Lift was a good find! I downloaded it but haven't played with it yet. Now that my calendar has cleared, this might be a good time.

Jean said...

Stephen, the catalog says, "Hosts Get It First & Free*" That leads me to believe it's a new item. It's a cool item, and it seems like a nice incentive to get people to host a party. I'll bet they'll use that as host bait for a month or two, then it will go on sale in the regular catalog.

Jean said...

As for the photography, I'm very encouraged by it. Last week, we had pizza. I ordered a small special with extra cheese. It's cut into six slices, so Mr. L and I split it. Last week, after the second slice, I thought about it a minute and decided, I probably was full, so I took a picture of the remaining slice before I ate it. This week, same pizza, but I took a picture of the remaining slice and decided to put it in the refrigerator for later. I'm still full, so I haven't eaten it yet. I don't think I would have made decision to do that without my photograph reinforcing my thought that I'd had enough.

I've always heard you should take a picture of your meal before you start eating it, but that was for tracking purposes to help you track it later and for help with determining portion sizes. This approach is geared for helping me decide when enough might be enough without me having to worry about being deprived. I can look at the pictures and think about it rationally later and make a decision at a later date that isn't as emotionally charged. (I'm speaking solely from my perspective. I have no idea how many other people this might apply to.)

Oh, and my goal is to get back to Polar Bear on the Loose and get it done.

Jean said...

And before someone chimes it, it's a different pizza but the same size and toppings. Grin.

Tammy Jones said...

The photography idea sounds awesome! I have a real problem with knowing when to stop.

Alas, I don't need any Tupperware. :(

Post a Comment