Monday, January 6, 2014

Uncloudy Day

But it's 31F outside.  It could be worse.  Here's what's been going on:

Sneaky  cried at the window last night, so, given how cold it was supposed to become, I took a carrier out to the side porch, picked her up, and put her in.  I brought her in the house and got her settled into Lady's cage for the night.  Lady graciously spent the night in the downstairs bathroom so Sneaky could be out of the cold.  I'm not sure she would tell the story the same way.  After the worst of the morning chill burned off this morning, Sneaky went back outside.  I plan to repeat the process tonight, since it's forecast to be 18F.

I decided to participate in the 52 Week Money Challenge with the rest of you.  I am going to do it backwards.  Since I get paid once a month and if I don't obligate my money at the beginning of the month, there isn't much left at the end, I transferred this month's allotment to the savings account this morning.  I'm sure this is violating some fun principle somewhere, but the idea is to save money, right?  Done.

I triaged the mail and paid bills until just a little bit ago.  Over the last week, we got a lot of leaves raked and bagged in San Antonio.  Mr. L verified that his tub drain fix worked, so no more tub drain leakage.  He made numerous excursions under the house to get the new support framework for the toilet installed.  This is a preventive maintenance approach, I believe.  I think the last time he did anything with the toilet was in the 70s when he bought the house, so this is somewhat routine.  But it's strenuous for him, and he wants to get the task completed.  He has probably two more trips to make, then his work will be upstairs. 

Ruby decided to stay in hiding when I was ready to come back to Central Texas, so she got to stay in San Antonio with Daddy for the week.  She and Ajax.  She came out three hours after I left, confirming what I suspected -- she's found a new hiding place somewhere in the lower kitchen cabinets.

Thanks to Tammy, I randomized for the Mindful Eating Diet in the Lift Quantitative Diet Study.  To help me get started with it, I purchased Susan Alders' Eating Mindfully (second edition).  I volunteered to blog for the project, and they use the Medium.com platform.  I posted something yesterday, but I have no idea how to find it.  It's a pretty platform but feels very disconnected to use.  I feel the diet is helpful, but I'm afraid I might burn out on it.  On the other hand, it's common sense, and, really, if I don't want to savor the food I'm eating, do I really want to eat it?  And that seems to be the question.  Frequently, the answer is no, and that's kind of the idea, right?

The Week Ahead:
  • Listen to PLF Module 7 -- I got it downloaded but haven't listened to it yet.
  • Begin work on fiction for 2014
  • Set up tracking so I can quantify my work for this year.  I've not been doing this, and, as a result, I'm not really aware of whether or not I'm getting anything done. My perception is no.
  • Evaluate what I need to do for FM this year and put together a plan
  • Research the Atmos Gas site to see how we can ensure when they come through town to move our gas meter above ground we can get it located beside the house instead of by the street.  (Mr. L goes ballistic on this topic, and I can't really blame him.  How stupid is it to have gas meters sticking out of the ground by the street?  Too easy for a wayward vehicle to take them out and cause a mess, not to mention how unsightly it is.)
  • Redoing the Lift Uncluttering and Writing plans as well as continuing the 90 Days to a New You and the Eating Mindfully plans.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Here's the link to the "blog" for the Quantified Diet: https://medium.com/p/d2bfed515568

Wendy said...

Can you elaborate on how the Quantified Diet works? Is it similar to WW? Do you have to track every bite?

Jean said...

Wendy, the Quantified Diet is a study, not a specific diet. You can get more information here: https://lift.do/quantified-diet (and sign up if you're interested). It's a scientific study to see which, if any, of the ten popular diets work as advertised. There are also a couple of control groups -- Tammy and Erin are in the Reading Control Group. I believe there's also a Flossing Control Group. They'd like you to go completely random for your diet selection, but they will let you check off the diets you want to be considered for (which included what I did, which was to check just one diet to be considered for).

Tracking is optional on mine and some of the others. The old standard, calorie counting, of course, will require some tracking, I presume, but it's an option, too.

Jean said...

And you have to use Lift, either the app or the website, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Post a Comment