Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday again???

It is Saturday, right? Eric is home, he's not sick, and we didn't go to church, so it must be Saturday. Obviously I need to find some new place holders on my calendar. Hoping to get some insight on that tomorrow. The new church has several outreach programs.

Good Stuff:
- Unpacking is coming along fairly well. I'd say I'm over half done, but it's a little hard to say.
- We got the rest of the book cases from Ikea last night, and they're assembled. Now to put the books away...
- Eric took me to the Great Lakes commissary this morning. Yeah groceries! The prices are far more reasonable than the grocery stores across the street (go figure) so we'll do the bulk of the shopping there and fill in locally. It's a 26 mile drive one way, but it's well-stocked, and the Exchange (the military version of Walmart) also has a nice variety of stuff. Especially The North Face clothing. They had lots of different Navy t-shirts, too, so if Alex decides to go that way I'll be going there to buy them for our parents, Alex's girlfriend, Vicky, etc. Everyone will be a Navy Something. :-)
- The cats have been manic depressive this week. Not sure if it's the noise, the cold, or just the strangeness of their new environment. I'm not worried about it. I know they'll be all right. Getting the boxes out will go a long way toward that.

Ambivalent Stuff:
- Looks like I'm taking one more trip downstate Monday to get the rest. Planning, at this point, to do it all in one day. Staying overnight by myself with no TV or Internet does not sound like a fun time to me. Better to just gut it out, but I'll probably pack an overnight bag just in case.

Not So Good Stuff:
- No words this week. I'm not cranky yet, but I think I'd better do something about that tomorrow afternoon.
- It's cold. And a little snowy. I rather like the snow, but highs in the single digits are not fun, especially when I can't find the hat with the ear flaps. Dad's going to try to buy me a couple in Florida (of all places).
- I was supposed to be at the rendezvous this week. It's the first one I've missed since 2004, although, in all honesty, even if we could have afforded, I would have stayed home anyway. There's too much to be done here, and I traveled so much last year I need a long break. The downside is my rendezvous friends aren't getting any younger and I'll miss the visit with my grandpa's sister and her husband.
- Alex's funding options are drying up. He applied for 2 loans last week and got turned down. The last of his college fund has been paid out. The college is in a rural area, so even fast food jobs are few and far between. He got some money for graduation, but I'm not sure what he's going to do for rent in March, let alone tuition.

I think that's about it. Considering a nap. Have a great week, y'all!

2 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

I think you'll start writing again once the new place settles in for you (and your cats). Sorry about Alex's job prospects - it's just plain crappy most everywhere, it seems - but the rest sounds really good. I *ought* to get your quilt in the mail this coming week. It's done, just need to get it packed up. {{hugs}}

Jean said...

Sounds as if you're settling in. Have a safe trip downstate. Definitely take an overnight bag just in case. With the weather lately, you just don't know. It's best to be prepared.

Sorry to hear about Alex's woes. That must be incredibly frustrating and worrisome.

I agree the cats will get settled in over the next couple of weeks and that writing will come at about the same rate.

Post a Comment