Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ashes and new fires

Looks like we made it through another year. It had its ups and downs, its failures and successes. Pretty much like every other year in many ways, but also different.

I accomplished none of my last year's goals, but I made progress on all of them. De-cluttering, health, writing, publishing, relationships, I worked on them all. I have a tendency to be my worse enemy, always critical of what I didn't accomplish rather than celebrating the incremental steps toward success. I'd like to say I will stop doing that, but I know how deeply that habit is ingrained. I will promise to try, though.

2011 is dying into ashes now. Only hours remain of its light. 2012 is ready to blaze.

People like to say that we can start over at any time. That we don't have to wait for the year to turn. Maybe so, but there's something attractive about those resolutions made at the birth of a new year. A symbolic birth with a real birth.

Tonight I will go over to a friend's house and lift a glass to salute the old year and welcome the new. And I will think of you all. We are very different people, but we've found a place to meet and share along with a willingness to learn from each other. If you haven't already, put that in your win column.

Tomorrow I will return to discuss my goals for the new year, but for now, I will close by saying this: May God richly bless you and yours in 2012. Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Happy New Year, Stephen! It's been a blast hanging out here and I'm looking forward to more fun - and less blues - in 2012!

Jean said...

I know everyone says you can start over any time, but to me, the new year, is a natural time to take advantage of that time.

We've all achieved some level of our stated goals for 2011, and we have record of those achievements (and more!) in this blog.

We're posting our plans, hopes, and dreams for 2012, and I want to remind us that we will frequently fail as we conduct our journeys. When that happens, we will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, readjust if necessary, forgive ourselves, and resume work on our goals.

Stephen, I pray 2012 brings you answers to your hopes and dreams.

SBB said...

Tammy, we definitely need less blues! :)

"We're posting our plans, hopes, and dreams for 2012, and I want to remind us that we will frequently fail as we conduct our journeys. When that happens, we will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, readjust if necessary, forgive ourselves, and resume work on our goals." Yes, Jean, exactly said. Thank you.

Post a Comment