Saturday, December 10, 2011

Roller coaster

I'm changing up my format this week. Bear with me.

Good stuff:
- Wrote 800+ words and figured out a new twist.
- Got a lot of Christmas shopping done. Some of it is wrapped and under the tree, and I have three boxes to ship on Monday. Just need to get something for the FIL and check stocking stuffers, and I'll be done.
- Did 4 Powerpoints for church. I have everything done through January 1. More on that in a minute.
- Remembered almost every day to take my afternoon supplements. (Water soluble vitamins get absorbed better if you split large doses into two or three smaller ones.)
- Had my last hand bell rehearsal for the year. We play tomorrow evening, and then Vicky and I are done for the season.
- We were busy two of the three days I worked.
- Had lunch in the city with a friend I wanted to get to know better.
- Starting knitting a new scarf.
- Swam twice.

Not so good stuff:
- The Powerpoints ate a lot more time than I planned. Two of them were huge, and Google wasn't giving up the pictures I needed for some of the slides. Normally, on 'bad picture days,' I can walk away, and when I come back, it's passed. This week I had to walk away three times.
- I wrote Monday morning and never got back to it. I want to write, but life is getting in the way and it's chapping my hide. The goal was to write 5,000 words this week. Fail.
- My house is still trashed.
- My dryer needed a new control board, and the water heater needed a new part that I've forgotten the name of. Total cost was $500, but they both work now. Yeah, Merry Christmas.

So, looking back over the list, it seems like I had more good than bad. It may be because it's evening and has been dark for hours, but I feel like the bad outweighed the good. I have always been too hard on myself and I'm working on that, but right now I'm frustrated that I haven't made progress on the house or the book, and there's a touch of despair that the holidays are going to keep getting in the way of progress.

Plan for next week:
Tomorrow, go to church, write, and knit.
Through Saturday:
Write 5,000 words
Finish decorating and put plastic bins away
Move rocking chair upstairs
Swim 3 times
Finish Christmas shopping
Knit
Remember afternoon supplements every day
Optional: Sort through the rest of the downstairs book shelves.

4 comments:

Jean said...

I like the format -- especially the plan for next week. Week in review, focusing on what worked and what didn't, then focus on what's ahead.

You got some tough things done. Try not to beat yourself up too much on the other things.

Wendy said...

In today's sermon, the pastor defined peace not as absence of war or a sense of happiness, but as the opposite of despair or anxiety. I immediately thought of this post. There's more work to do--a lot more--but I'm heading the right way, and I need to remind myself to look back occasionally to see what's been done, not what's left to do.

Tammy Jones said...

I like that, Wendy, what your pastor said. Also, noting the 'good' and how its list is a lot longer than the 'bad' will hopefully help your mood and outlook.

Maybe we all should approach our updates like this for next year?

SBB said...

Wendy, if you will stop beating on yourself, I'll stop beating on myself. :) Wish it was that easy.

Sounds like you got a lot done. Maybe your eyes were simply bigger than your stomach, if that makes sense. Good to shoot high, but okay to miss, too.

Like your week plan. Need to do that myself.

Post a Comment