Sunday, July 10, 2011

back to our regularly scheduled program

Awesome week. It's always great to see The Boys. I'm sure you saw the pictures on Facebook already.

Writing: I actually did get some work done. Not a lot, but enough, given the circumstances. The snowflake is coming along slowly, and there is still a lot to do. There will be more progress in next week's report.

Clutter: I had almost no clean-up to do when the Boys left, so I'd call that a win. We managed to keep dishes done and trash out, and with all the extra activity and people, that's enough. I do need to take a serious look at my kitchen cupboards in the near future and see what I can either donate or pack up for the kids. There might be some things I could do both with--donate them to Alex's frat house. ;-)

Health: I didn't track any food last week, and we ate out several times. Monday I sat around the house visiting and eating: salty, then sweet, salty, sweet. Luckily I recognized what I was doing and got a handle on it right away. After all that, and only exercising once, I only gained half a pound. I'm happy with that, and I'm really glad I took the break. I needed a diet vacation. It helped a lot that we had a ton of berries from our last co-op delivery that needed to be eaten, and I'd ordered extra apples. I think I single-handedly demolished three quarts of strawberries on my own, plus a couple pints of blueberries, and between us we probably ate 8 lbs of apples. Lesson learned: diet vacations don't mean gorging on junk. Maybe that's the difference between a 20-something vacation and a 40-something vacation. 20-year-olds go full tilt, drink, and do stupid things. 40-year-olds see a vacation as a time to relax, break routine, and enjoy, but we still go to bed at a reasonable time. Yet another reason I maintain that 40 is twice as good as 20.

Misc: I had my follow-up vitamin D test two weeks ago, and in the excitement, forgot to log it here. It took a week to get a hold of the nurse in my doctor's office for the results, and it's still low. I'm back on the weekly megadose for another 3 months. Apparently being vigilant about avoiding sunburn hasn't done me as many favors as I thought.

It's good to see you all on Google+. I haven't had the time to play with it much, so it's still a little baffling to me. I'm still not entirely sure I like or trust it. Google sort of scares me as it is. How long will it be before we have no expectation of privacy?

3 comments:

Jean said...

It sounds like you made some good snacking choices this week.

Your comment about privacy has raised a couple of speculative thoughts. The concept of privacy is cultural. Remember when communal peoples lived in long houses -- essentially large numbers of people in one big room? Their concept of privacy was very different that ours, wasn't it?

I'm beginning to think the internet, at least at this stage, is the equivalent of one big long house, and we're all gathering around various fires to live, cook, and sleep. We haven't quite figured out how to ostracize those who fail to avert their eyes when it's appropriate to do so -- or, a less appealing image, we'll like children who haven't learned what is and isn't rude (less appealing, because I believe the people who refuse to avert their eyes know what they're doing is rude and do it anyway).

Given that, I'm leery of Google, too, but I'm impressed with the interaction I've seen from the Google staff as well as their seemingly genuine desire to get this one right.

Stephen B. Bagley said...

Years ago, I was a member of the long gone hacking group Spider, which was based on AOL at the time. (Yes, that many years ago.) I learned then that there is NEVER any privacy on the Net. If you put the information out there, it can be found if the person looking knows how to find it. I resolved then to only put information out there that I didn't mind anyone reading. Of course, I've slipped up a few times over the years, but for the most part, I've kept to that resolution. A good rule of thumb: If you would say it out loud in a crowded room, then post it. If not, then don't. It's a rule I try to live by.

Tammy Jones said...

I absolutely agree with Stephen. There is no real privacy online. If it's public, anywhere, it'll potentially be distributed.

However, I most aspects of internet social connection become a matter of 'who cares?' Who is going to take the time to root through the endless, every growing vat of digital stuff just to pull one little mis-statement out that someone made under a quirky username 4 years ago on a message board? Sure, someone might, but the chance of it coming to light decreases as time goes by. It just becomes one more piece of the digital consciousness. Will someone get upset because a teenage girl posted a pic of her drunk at a frat party? Maybe... but in the grand scheme, it's just one more pic of a stupidly drunk kid. A needle in a sea of needles.

I just assume anything I type, especially in an unrestricted forum, is public. Period. If I don't want it public, then I don't type it. {{huggs}}

Post a Comment