Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 30 tambometrics

Last week's decent turned into this week's awful.

Writing
Finished 2 chapters, and wrote a new beginning. Haven't really written anything else, because...

Life
Our cat, Malaysia, died on Tuesday morning, hit by a car in front of our house. To say we're devastated would be a gross understatement. She was our baby, our Princess, our sweet ninja girl. I know she's just a cat, and I know these things happen, especially with indoor/outdoor pets, but... it was Malaysia. The skittish one who was happy to just sun herself on the porch or bat at a bug in the flower bed. The one who preferred to be inside. The one who was always Right. Here. Because what we were doing was super-interesting and she HAD to be involved, especially if we could worship her while doing it.

Anyway, it's been really hard, especially on me and Laura.

Puufy, God bless him, has been very attentive and cuddly. He's sitting here now, leaned up against me purring.

On Wed Bill snapped a tooth in two and needed an emergency dentist visit. Also, Laura's trackpad on her laptop broke.

On Thursday, the doctor's office called at 7:30 am to reschedule Laura's ultrasound to 11 instead of 2:45 - and at another location- when we already had a different appointment across town at 10:45 (at the Apple store for Laura's trackpad). And Des Moines is two hours away, if we don't have a train crossing the highway. And the Apple store's phone thingy had been hit by lightning and we couldn't call in to reschedule. So our day in Des Moines which was supposed to be a leisurely trip down, hit the Apple store, do some shopping, get the ultrasound and go back home in time to have company turned into a mad dash to get to the Apple store when they opened at 10 only to get rescheduled to 4pm, then rush across town for the ultrasound at 11, meet up with my mother and sister for a quick lunch (all slowed down by my sister's 5 year old grandson), blow 20 minutes extra time (and you can't really do anything with 20 open minutes) on our way to the hospital for the obgyn appt, then rush BACK to the apple store for the Genius appt, then rush home because we had friends coming over to play games.

And, oh, Bill called in a panic in the midst of this frantic driving because I'd smoked a pork shoulder but had neglected to purchase barbeque sauce.  Shit, I can't remember EVERYTHING!

On Friday our dishwasher broke, full of water, of course, so I had to hand-wash about 3 days worth of dishes. Plus the exBF had a pity-party melt down after I told him the baby's a girl and she's perfect (the one good thing this week) THEN our realtor came in the back door right after we'd finished eating but had not cleaned up supper (about 5:50pm), assuming we knew there was a showing at 6 (um, no, we didn't know) and the kitchen was a mess (re: supper) and the bedroom was a mess (re: Bill's crazy sleep schedule) and Laura's room was trashed (because it usually is) and she'd walked up to the co-op and wasn't here to delegate anything to, and the dog wanted to LOVE the realtor (he's 85lbs of slobbery lab), and, well... it wasn't fun. But Bill and I rushed and we got the kitchen tidied, if not totally de-greased, and a quilt thrown over the bed, and Laura's crap thrown into her closet, then we sat in the park with the dog while OUR NEIGHBOR'S SON came to tour the house. And Bill and I were like 'we did all this rushing around for Caylen?!?'

I have no idea what craptastic thing will fall on us today. I do know I'm staying home.

House
It's still standing. I'm actually kind of shocked after the week we've had.

Health
Back down a pound, but I've been stress eating so I don't expect the loss to last.

Everything Else
I think that's enough, but I am having a granddaughter, Sarah Catharine, in mid December!

10 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh my, you had a WEEK! Great news about the baby. I'm so glad she's healthy, but I'm a little confused about why the exbf would be having a pity party. Did he want a boy?

I totally understand your grief. We lost a cat suddenly, we think to rat poison, and we all cried for days. He was our only pet at the time, too, so the house was suddenly void of animals. Our neighbor's cat came to visit, though, like he knew what happened. Of course, I didn't realize he was the neighbor's cat, so I named him and almost had him neutered before the neighbor spoke up!

You're stress eating? There's a shock! I wouldn't worry about craptastic things happening next week. I think you've about got it covered for a while! I hope so anyway.

{{Hugs}}

Tammy Jones said...

exBF had a pity party because he's only getting updates, that he's not included in all the day-to-day stuff of pregnancy and won't have the picture-perfect father-baby relationship he dreamed of and, of course, it's because Laura loved him and left him hanging. Noooo... It's because as soon as she found out she was pregnant (she was blissfully happy, btw), he became controlling and his mother was abusive and demeaning and Laura got the heck outta there. Even after she left they've been harassing us and saying mean things about Laura - to me and Bill and who knows who else - and making crazy demands, and every single time there's baby news they bring nasty DRAMA.

So. Yeah. you'd think most people, even from a broken up relationship, would be delighted to know that the baby's fine. Not him. Because he wasn't there to see the ultrasound screen. It's truly messed up.

Jean said...

*I* was devastated about Malaysia, and I only knew her a little. I can only imagine how awful you guys feel. Have you seen Cooper, or is he still missing, too? Hugs, but I know they aren't enough.

What a tough week.

I completely understand about stress eating. Hang in there.

Wonderful news on a healthy granddaughter.

Tammy Jones said...

Cooper, Abbie and Puufy are all FINE. Or at least they were 10 minutes ago when they were mrowwing to have the food dish refilled. Puufy's here with me tho, being hims cuddly puufy self. He's been wandering around the house meowing in a weird way off and on all last night and today, I think he's looking for Malaysia.

And here I go crying again. {{huggs}}

Jean said...

{{{hugs}}} I'm sure Puufy does miss Malaysia. You can comfort each other.

Wendy said...

Tell Laura she's a smart girl for getting out of dodge. Sounds like a family she and Sarah do NOT need to be living with. I guess there's no chance she can convince him it's someone else's baby so he'll leave her alone, is there?

Tammy Jones said...

They - as in exBF and his mother and grandmother - accused her of trying to trap him with another guy's kid and DEMANDED an immediate paternity test (needle in uterus and all that) which we refused. Then, a month later, his mother started harassing us for not sending him pics of her belly (um, laura's tall and hippy and you can't even tell she's pregnant) and not keeping him updated and it's just not right because it was a planned pregnancy (um, just a few weeks ago you were informing me she was a trampy slut trying to trap your sweet boy with her illicit love child) so, um, yeah, they've already *suggested* that the kid isn't his.

I think the current plan is to put 'father unknown' on the birth certificate and if he wants to prove he's the father, he can (and accept the child support and assorted responsibilities), but otherwise we'll all manage fine without their involvement.

Fwiw, he's not a bad guy, just a boy who's controlled and manipulated by his mother and grandmother. Mom is the real problem. She's greedy, controlling, and off her nut.

Wendy said...

She's still smart for getting out of dodge. A lot of marriages don't survive a MIL from hell, and she sounds like she's from about the 5th layer. He's not worth her time until he learns to stand up to mama.

Jean said...

I think Laura "getting out of Dodge" was the smartest move she made all year. Staying with him, as things are today, would be a sure ticket to a lifetime of misery and much, much more difficulty getting disentangled than now -- not matter how much a PITA it is now.

I'm sure it helped that she had you and Bill's support in her decision, but this had disaster written all over it. Too many young women don't make the right decision and live far too long in hell before they can escape -- if they ever do.

SBB said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Malaysia and your other troubles. I'm praying for you and rooting for you. I hope this week is much much much better.

Post a Comment