Saturday, August 13, 2011

Non-food Rewards

I was thinking about rewards while I was swimming today. Since we all seem to have a hard time with them, I thought maybe we should post things as we think of them. Mine may not be feasible for you, but maybe they'll make you think of something that is. If you have ideas, we'll be able to find them faster in the future if you start a new post.

Activity points. They're the only thing that keeps me going to the pool. Since I don't always use all of my activity points, I don't consider them a food reward.

Pedicure. Yes, Stephen, you can skip the nail polish. I was thinking that an occasional pedicure wouldn't hurt the circulation in your feet, but maybe I'm wrong.

Martyr points. I give these to myself when I do something I really don't want to but that has to be done. Usually it's something that I have tried unsuccessfully to delegate. They're not good for anything or you wouldn't be a martyr, but they do help me feel better. A little.

Retail therapy. I don't go crazy with this one. I might go buy some new Post It notes or a couple new (cheap) work shirts. There is sometimes a food component to this one. I might buy a new tin of tea, or stop at Starbucks for a chai.

Reading. I try to keep a book or two on hand that I put off reading until I need a motivator. Maybe I'll spend the day in menial domestic drudgery and then break out a new book.

4 comments:

Jean said...

I've scoffed at the idea of pedicures until recently. Since my body is bending poorly lately, it's tough to reach me feet for trimming toe nails. This means they get cut all crooked. And I have a couple that are being obnoxious and taking on an ingrown tendency that I can't seem to cure.

Perhaps having someone who can reach my toes at the proper angle will be able to get the nails growing properly.

I have a pumice stone I use to get the callous growths off, so that goes pretty well, but trimming the nails is a hassle. Even so, I suppose whatever they do might be worthwhile.

Tammy Jones said...

I'm not very good about Strangers Touching Me. I keep hearing about the awesomeness of pedicures, but... there will be a Stranger. Touching Me. It took me a long time to get used to the idea of a massage therapist helping me when I pulled my hip out last winter, and I had to sit and chat with her - on the clock - a while first so she wouldn't be a 'stranger'

I'm weird, I guess. lol

For me, a great reward is FABRIC!!! A fat quarter costs about $2.50 most everywhere around here, so I'll sometimes allot myself x amount of fat quarters. Or a quilt pattern (usually around $8) or just some yardage.

Fwiw, Laura uses gum as a reward. Sugarless, mint something or another gum. Does that count as a food? ;)

Wendy said...

Honestly, getting a pedicure is not my favorite thing. All the nail places here are run by Asian immigrants, and that doesn't bother me, but I have a hard time with their accents, and I like to chat. I feel uncomfortable just sitting there saying nothing while they work. I also have ticklish feet, so the whole exfoliation thing can be tricky! What I do like is having pretty feet, especially in the summer.

SBB said...

I've had a pedicure several times. My hair stylist is a diabetic certified pedicurist so she's checked my feet and trimmed my nails a few times when necessary. Can't afford her right tho, but I will again.

As for non-food rewards, I do like new scrapbook papers. A local store has them, and I get one or two sheets from them at time. Lifts my spirits. I do like office supplies.

Post a Comment