Saturday, August 27, 2011

Week 34

Yup.  That's what it is.  Thirty-four weeks out of fifty-two in the year.  And all is well.  At least for me, personally, I can say that.  Not so much for some other people I know.

Polar Bear on the Loose - I broke the stall.  I used my Camp NaNoWriMo file on Scrivener and my revised scene cards and wrote a line detailing the conflict for each of the sixty scenes.  If there were scenes that seemed to be missing conflict or having really weak conflict, I highlighted them.  Fourteen scenes are highlighted.  I have a few more things to do, but I made it past that blockage.

750words.com - Still on track there.

Camp NaNoWriMo - I did well with this every day this month until I finished the conflict scenes.  Then, I keep forgetting to go back.  Need to fix that for the last couple days of the month.

Internet Responsibilities - Pretty much the bare minimum there.

Pets - Everyone is doing well.  The kittens turned 11 months today, and Lady celebrated by, once again, turning over and digging through every small trash can in the house.  We tried to give her a name to live up to, but Miss Alley Kat would have been more appropriate.  Sigh.  Yesterday, she carried a tube of Neosporin downstairs.  Last night, she brought it upstairs to me in bed.  I thanked her and put it on the nightstand.  What else can I do?  A few weeks ago, I forgot to put away a stainless steel scrubbing pad from the kitchen sink.  It disappeared.  I have no idea where it went.  A couple of days ago, it appeared on the rug in the parlor.  Thank you, Lady.  I was looking for that.   Hubby calls her the Pack Cat.  Is there any wonder why?

Property -
We got the bottom three boards replaced on the front of the house this week.  Hubby has gotten them nailed in, puttied, and primered.  He still has some puttying to do, another coat of primer, and a color coat.  I don't believe he'll get the color coat put on before he heads back to San Antonio on Monday morning.  On the other hand, he just might do that before he heads out.


Health -
- Weight is up .2 pounds.  It seesawed a little this week -- at one point being the lowest it's ever been since I started this journey at the end of Feb, but ultimately, it swung back up a couple tenths.  I'm not losing sleep over this, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not.
- As I've posted elsewhere, the rheumatologist recommended a change in my over the counter meds, prescribed some isometric exercises, and offered me a cortisone injection, which we decided should be given 10 days before I'll need to do a lot of walking for Hershey in October.
- All that is fine, but when I cut Aleve out, my whole body hurt.  Increasing the Tylenol did nothing for me.  I specifically had more pain in my feet, knees, hips, shoulders, neck, head, hands, and wrists (did I miss anything?).  I could barely hold a glass of water last night.  It's nice to know my OTC pain meds do such a good job, and there were no new pains -- just pains the OTC meds have masked for some time.
- I began to wonder if there are dependencies built for Aleve, so I searched on line, and found at least one website that says stopping NSAIDs (Aleve is a minor one) can result in blood clots, so one shouldn't just quit taking them.  Hmm.  Just to be on the safe side, I am going to take one before bed for the next week.  Then for the next week after that, I'm going to take one every other night before bed.  Then I'll quit taking them.  And, if this pain stuff continues, the doc and I are going to have a talk when I see him again on the 22nd. 

In other news -It's been a tough week for a few people I'm aware of.  I know there are always painful things going on, but it seems like they came to a head this week.
- Tammy's Bill getting the news about his processing station shutting down.  Even though you guys have known it was coming, it still feels like a blow to the gut when you finally get the word -- and things are still pretty nebulous, so I think that makes it even worse.
- The lady who boards Millie when we go out of town, was thrown from a horse while giving riding lessons last Friday, and she's in intensive care for the foreseeable future.  I talked to her daughter this week, and, while they have a lot of positive signs -- she squeezed hands and wiggled toes on command on Tuesday -- she lost her right eye and has reconstructive facial surgery - a 16 hour operation if all goes well - scheduled for Thursday.  I'm pretty sure there will be more surgeries scheduled, but they're taking it one day at a time for now.  She was an endurance rider, so she was in great physical shape before the accident, which has to help, but I've been heartsick for her and her family all week.
- A friend of Stephen's, who I've become friendly with, is preparing to lose her mother this week.  While I believe she's been preparing for this point for several months, the moment is at hand this week, so it's bound to be a tough time for her and her family.
- Stephen's life is still in a tough place -- I know it will work out for him, but I still worry about him.
- Like most you, I have many friends and acquaintances who live on the East Coast, so I'm concerned for their well-being with Hurricane Irene bearing down upon them.
- Our town has lost it's second military member in Afghanistan, and his body came home this week, and the family buried him today.  The man had seven children, some of them very young.  That's always tough.  My neighbor was a couple years behind him in school and says he was a great guy.

Just a lot of little stuff (well, not little stuff for the people directly affected, but for me, well....I dunno).  Nothing seriously wrong for me, but I'm a little bummed.


4 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

Absolutely freaking AWESOME congratulations on braking the blockage on PBOTL. YAY!!! I know it's been a struggle, but you DID IT!! Woot!!

Sorry about the arthritis pain. That totally sucks, but most of the rest of your week sounds good. And, hey, at least Lady finds ways to keep herself entertained. :p {{huggs}}

Hugs and well wishes and prayers to everyone else on your list. Thank you for including us {{huggs}} I'm sure we'll be fine once we have a direction and plan in place, and, hey, summer's almost over. (huge, relieved, sigh) ;)

SBB said...

Congrats on Polar Bear on the Loose! I'm so looking forward to reading that book. I can't hardly wait until you finish it.

I think they have some spray at Walmart that you can spray on things to keep pets out of them. Although, of course, you have to remember to spray. Pets are grand, yes? Yes.

I'm sorry to hear about your suffering without the Aleve. Did you ever try those anti-inflammatory foods on the list I sent you? Green tea -- unsweetened -- is a great anti-inflammatory. Maybe it would help.

Sorry you're bummed. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers, though. And I have to believe there's a job out there somewhere for me or some way to make a living that doesn't involve gun-running or illegal drugs. :) I'll make it. And when I'm rich and famous, you can bet I'll be flying everyone out to party on my island! :)

Wendy said...

Wahoo on all the writing!! Really, really good work there. I know it's a relief!

You might check out acupuncture as a stop-gap for the pain. If your pain is worse in the cold (I know--what's that, right?) try taking cayenne. I think you can buy it encapsulated, and if you can't find it, let me know. I have some I can send you. Curry might help, too. They're both warming herbs that are beneficial for arthritis.

Thanks for bringing the other people to our attention. I'll put them on my prayer list.

I'd offer to trade Lady for Jeli, but somehow I don't think you or Vicky would go for it!

Jean said...

I hadn't considered acupuncture. I'll have to investigate.

Temperature doesn't appear to affect the pain. I try icing, but that doesn't really help. Heat doesn't seem to help either. Curry or cayenne, eh? Hmm.

Thanks for your prayers for the people I mentioned. Stephen's and my mutual friend's mother passed away this morning.

I don't think Lady is going anywhere, she is just an incredible character of a cat. It primarily why we just couldn't let her go to the home we'd almost adopted her out to.

Wait, Stephen, you're not running guns? Oh, dear. I need to make a few phone calls. Be right back. I hope.

Post a Comment