Saturday, August 6, 2011

Week 31

Thirty-one weeks into 2011.  Yes, time is flying by. 

Polar Bear on the Loose (Revision, using How To Revise Your Novel):  Pulled out lesson 13 and am paralyzed at the idea of analyzing conflict arcs.  I just don't get it.

750words.com: I've written at least my 750 words seven of seven days. 
 
CampNaNoWriMo: I've done a little section each day on brainstorming.  Usually a couple hundred words.  I'm at 1365 words for the month of August.

Internet Responsibilities:
- Kept up with FM. 
- I'm a little irritable with online stuff -- not you guys or my other "Inner Circle" people but the wider internet circle in general. 

Pets:
- Everyone is doing well.
 
Property:
- We got back to Central Texas, and the lawn was golden and crackly.  I'm glad nobody threw a cigarette butt out their car window, because this place would have gone up in smoke.  We've been watering again, and there are hints of green.  Some of our St. Augustine grass is recuperating.
- We had our second yard sale of the year this weekend.  We had good turn out yesterday but a slightly lower yield than we usually get.  Today was about half what we usually get.  I'm not sure if it was the heat or the economy or both.  There's a lady in the appraisal district who is interested in a sofa and two chairs we haven't brought downstairs to sell yet.  She's supposed to call me next week, and we'll set something up.  We'll give her a super good price on the set -- it's harvest gold naugahyde, brand new, but a little dirty and shop worn.  A vacuum and wipe down should do the trick.
- Heading back to San Antonio for a couple of days for hubby's follow up doctor appointments.  If all goes well, I'll come back up here on Thursday.

Health:
- I rode the exercise bike one day this week.  Hauled some boxes and buckets of dirt and rocks.  Usual stuff.
- Up .3 pounds, and, yes, the weight has still been yo-yoing this week.  Up one day, down the next.  I think it's a typical transition window, but it's stretching out a little longer than I'd like.  I'm at least happy to be consistent within .5 a pound from one week to the next.  Frankly, I really went off plan quite a few times this week -- mostly recorded everything, but the numbers were appalling.  It's a minor miracle I'm only up .3 pounds.
- Using the crutches for a few days took care of the calf pain I was experiencing.  The knee is so-so and I would say the same for the foot.  I still need to call the Podiatry Clinic to see how to go about getting the bone stimulator the podiatrist mentioned during my appointment.  I also need to decide when to try to get into my doctor about my knee.  Unfortunately, I need to decide quickly, because I'm going to be bumping up against our October trip to PA if I don't get things squared away soon.

3 comments:

Tammy Jones said...

I think it all sounds pretty good, Jean. Glad the crutches helped your calf, and I'm sure the super hot dry weather was the main factor in your yard sale.

So, what are conflict arcs and how do you analyze them?

Jean said...

I guess if I could explain conflict arcs, I would probably feel more confident about this lesson. Grin. I'll give it a try.

As I understand it, I'm supposed to map the flow of the various conflicts throughout my manuscript to make sure the conflict is really conflict, to make sure it all gets resolved (not dropped or abandoned along the way -- I know some of that happened in PBOTL), and to see where I could make it stronger, tighter, or more effective as I go through the book.

The way I do that is by primarily using my scene by scene index cards but also some of the worksheets I used earlier in the course (because I probably made notes about where things worked or didn't work as I worked through the story earlier).

In theory, this is all great and will be wonderful. In practice, I look at the stuff and my brain locks up.

Wendy said...

It would be great if you could get that furniture out of the way.

I know exactly what you mean about appalling food lists. I've had a few of those myself lately. My boss keeps sending goodies home. :P

Hopefully all the neighbors will keep their cigarettes to themselves for a while. I haven't been keeping track--are there any hurricanes out there that look promising? ;)

Post a Comment